Friday, November 21, 2008

Petals down the aisle...

I just LOVE the aisle sprinkled with rose petals. In my opinion, it is much more romantic than the runway look (sprinkled on either side of the aisle). I know it seems like a frivolous expenditure but if you really want that magical feeling when walking down the aisle you need lots of rose petals. A bag or two really only gives a few petals for every square foot. If you can only afford a couple of bags of petals, consider sprinkling them at the alter instead of down the aisle. This will still give a romantic feel while saving on the pocketbook.
An interesting side note, do you know where the tradition of sprinkling petals down the aisle came from? I didn't until recently when I was reading from The Perfect Wedding Reception by Maria McBride-Mellinger. One of the newest wedding books in my library. It apparently started in primitive cultures that believed demons lurked underground. They scattered petals along the bridal path, using beauty as a weapon to ward off the evil spirits, to protect the newlyweds. Funny how often we do things that we have no idea where the origin of the idea came from!


No comments: